Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: How do you store your 50ft reels?

  1. #1
    stchan
    Guest stchan's Avatar

    Question

    Hi all -
    I was wondering how you guys store your 50ft rolls of developed film. I've looked around for cans of the proper size, but haven't been able to find any. I thought of maybe using CD pages to hold the reels, but then they would start to unwind off the reel slightly in the pages - and I'm pretty sure using a rubber band to hold the film on the reel isn't a good idea. Any pointers would be appreciated.

    -STC


    ------------------

  2. #2
    technicolour
    Guest technicolour's Avatar

    Post

    STC

    Well when it comes back from processing it should be on a reel that they put the film on in the lab.

    Or is that not what you meant? you can buy 50ft library reels, as well as all sorts of sizes

    ------------------
    Jim

  3. #3
    technicolour
    Guest technicolour's Avatar

    Post

    PS:

    I wouldnt use rubber bands to store anything at all, if you tie something up with rubber bands and then store it the rubber eventually perishes and goes hard, and sticks to what ever its holding, buggering it up good

    ------------------
    Jim

  4. #4
    stchan
    Guest stchan's Avatar
    Whoops, I guess I wasn't clear - my film does come back on 50ft reels. What I am looking for (and should have said in the first place), is some sort of film can that fits the 50ft reels. If I put the reels into CD pages, the film tends to unwind off the reel, so it would be nice if there were some containers that fit the reels nicely.

    -STC


    ------------------

  5. #5
    mattias
    Guest mattias's Avatar

    Post

    there's a kind of leader called "protect-a-print" that i use all the time. it's a bit thicker and less flexible than normal leader, and it "curls up" against the film, preventing unwinding. don't know where you would get it. i found it at a second hand camera store in stockholm...

    /matt

  6. #6
    dogstarman
    Guest dogstarman's Avatar

    Post

    It used to be that when you got your film back, it came on a 50' plastic reel which had a snap-on plastic lid... sort of a half-shell.

    Dwayne's did this up to about a year ago, but the last few batches of films I got back came in crappy little cardboard boxes. I suggest splicing everything onto 400' reels, which can easily be had with cans included. Save your 50' reels, though.

    SAM

    ------------------

  7. #7
    technicolour
    Guest technicolour's Avatar
    STC,

    Ooops sorry :s didnt know what you meant

    I looked a couple of sites and the sizes start at about 60m

    You could try using round tobacco tins, i think they would fit a treat

    ------------------
    Jim

  8. #8
    stchan
    Guest stchan's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dogstarman:
    It used to be that when you got your film back, it came on a 50' plastic reel which had a snap-on plastic lid... sort of a half-shell.

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Something like that would be exactly what I'm looking for, unfortunately all the film cans I've found were for 400 foot reels. The tobacco tins suggestion sounds good - only problem is I don't chew, or smoke! Hmmm, I'm trying to think of something else that might come in a similar container (shoe polish, but that would be messy... I also seem to recall some hard fruit candy from the UK that comes in a tin like that too). Well, thanks for the suggestions everyone - and I'll try to see if I can dig up some of that leader too.

    -STC


    ------------------

  9. #9
    chas_ucla
    Guest chas_ucla's Avatar

    Post

    Laughing Cow Cheese boxes! Slightly larger but they will work..
    Also, those round things that fit around the reel occasionally come up on e-bay usually in a lot along with empty 50' reels...

    ------------------

  10. #10
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    Just splice them into 400 footers.
    Who wants a million 50 foot rolls around anyway?

    ------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •